httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark J Cox <M.J....@bradford.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Telescope billr@corbis.com (fwd)
Date Thu, 01 Jun 1995 08:24:32 GMT
I've not had a chance to check this out yet (I've only just got back).  I
saw something similar mentioned on news too.  I've had no problems myself
with dynamic generated GIF's and Apache.

Mark
Mark J Cox,  mark@telescope.org -- URL:http://www.telescope.org/mark.html
University of Bradford, England ---------- tel +44.1274.384070/fax 391333

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 May 95 13:38:00 PDT
From: Bill Radcliffe <billr@corbis.com>
To: Mark J Cox <M.J.Cox@bradford.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Telescope billr@corbis.com

Thanks you very much for your response. I am working with the latest Apache
release now and have found only one flaw that makes it unusable to me. I am
creating HTML pages that contain many INLINE IMG refereces using CGI scripts
to produce the image. The images that are produced are between 20 and 45k in
size (JPEG format).  The images are either truncated or corrupted somewhere
during the whole process.  This ocurred in the NCSA 1.3 release as well - so
it is nothing you guys have done. The interesting thing is that the NCSA 1.4
release WORKS. I have examined the code very closely and do not see where
the difference is. The code has not changed very much execept that Apache
seems to have done some major rewriting of the Alias handling code. I looked
extensively at "send_fd" which had a minor bug fix in NCSA 1.4.   I also
disabled all of the multiple child stuff in NCSA and limited it to a single
httpd process. This did not make a difference.

The only real difference I can see is the during "send_fd", the reads always
happen in 8k chunks, but the write are occasionaly broken up into smaller
chunks. This seems to be where my problem happens. In Apache the written
chunks are strange sizes like 4003 and then the rest  of the 8K. In NCSA the
chunks seemed to be broken into equal 4K chunks. I don't have a cluse why
this is. Any ideas?