httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: argv[0] inconsistencies?
Date Sat, 24 Jun 1995 06:13:39 GMT
On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> The replacement inststr routine I mailed to the list yesterday fixes
> the problem, it won't overwrite anything other than the filename, and
> it pads things out with spaces if there's room to spare. The size of
> the filename / process name will stay at a constant length.

    At first I thought I applied the inststr patch incorrectly, but I
still get this problem with 0.73h:  the process name includes trailing
arguments, making for rather wide ps listings:

25950 ??  IWs    0:00.07 apache-parent         -f /usr/loc ... (apache-0.7.3h)
25951 ??  IW     0:00.01 apache-1-0            -f /usr/loc ... (apache-0.7.3h)
25952 ??  IW     0:00.01 apache-2-0            -f /usr/loc ... (apache-0.7.3h)
[...]

    The argv[0] portion comes up correctly now, but if I invoke
Apache with additional command-line arguments (in this case, to read
an alternate httpd.conf), the whole thing shows up in a ps.  This is
on a FreeBSD 2.0.5 machine.  I tried it on an IRIX 6.01 machine and
there didn't seem to be any argv[0] manipulation at all.

    Anyhow, I need to go catch my flight to Toronto now... talk to you
guys next week.  :)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org