httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: argv[0] inconsistencies?
Date Fri, 23 Jun 1995 06:51:33 GMT
On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Seems to me that if the string being overwritten is shorter than
> the new string, then all the arguments and environment variables
> get overwritten by '\0'

    What if the new string is longer?  Don't you risk overwriting
whatever happens to follow argv[0]?  I remember reading somewhere
(perhaps in the NCSA httpd 1.4 docs) that they recommend specifying
the complete pathname of the server when starting it so that you get
lots of room to play with when fiddling with process names and the
like.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org