httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: Dynamic filenames
Date Fri, 02 Jun 1995 09:12:47 GMT
On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Nicolas Pioch wrote:

> I think it's also due to jobs starting before midnight and ending
> a long time after...

    Yes, that too.  That's why I think it is beyond cron's scope to
handle log rotation.

> I'm not in favor of doing this; after all, some sites would want a monthly
> rotation, some a weekly, some twice a week, some every week, some every
> 2 hours... we'd end up reprogramming cron.

    Well, that's why the filename would be generated with
user-supplied criteria.  You could have a filename based on the
current month instead of the current day.  Or on the first component
of the URL.  Anyhow, I just wanted to toss the suggestion into the
crowd and see what people think.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org