httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Shambhala
Date Fri, 30 Jun 1995 23:17:39 GMT
On Fri, 30 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> I remember saying words to the effect of "this is what I plan to
> do, stop me if you think this isn't a good idea". Why the hell didn't
> anyone say something ?

I wasn't sure what rst's time frame was, and it seemed reasonable that a
lot of knowlege gained by pushing ahead with the non-forking model could
be applied to shambala anyways.  I was surprised at how quickly shambala
came to fruition!  Having 0.7x around has definitely helped the
situations I'm involved with, too.

> That said, and after looking at the code and trying (for a few minutes)
> it looks great, and I've no objection to switching to it.
>
> If we'd switched earlier, we'd be in much better shape now. The code
> would have had a much broader testing.. e.g. one of the first random
> URLs I clicked on exposed a minor problem that'll need fixing.

I'm actually planning on putting shambala on links.net today, which will
give it a 250K/day test site (though it doesn't use most of Apache's
advanced features so it'll more useful for basic performance testing than
feature-based bug fixing).  As soon as xbithack's in I can set it up on
hyperreal.

Glad we have reached consensus.

	Brian