httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Apache 0.7: too many processes
Date Mon, 26 Jun 1995 19:05:03 GMT
On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > what's a *real* solution is to distinguish between
> > short-lived responses and long-lived responses, so that 10 people downloading
> > a 6 meg MPEG movie from your site over a 14.4 modem don't swamp your
> > 10-child server.  Any ideas?
>
> It should be possible for the child to signal the parent  to effectively
> say, "hey, I've just been asked to send this file which is bigger than X.
> Start a new child to replace me, and I promise to exit when I'm done"
>
> However, if X is chosen to be too small, this degenerates into a
> forking model.

I would rather base it on transfer time than size - i.e. the child says
"hey, I've been delivering this object for X seconds and I'm only
halfway done. Start a new child to replace me, and I promise to exit when
I'm done"  One could experiment with X to get the forking/non-forking
balance they want - for a heavy site where 5% of the downloads are large
objects that people over 14.4 links want, I might set that to 30 seconds.

	Brian