httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: update ii
Date Sat, 17 Jun 1995 23:47:18 GMT
On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> Unfortuantely, There are real
> problems with 0.7.2j eating up all the file descriptors under FreeBSD and
> BSDI under heavy load, and I have to look at those first.

Make sure your MAXUSERS is at least as big as the number of children you
expect to run.  That was a problem too for links.net until that was done.
fstat was showing *lots* of file descriptors, but on this machine it was
also serving 4 virtual hosts, each of which had at least 3 fd's for log
files and such.  It did seem like there was some leakage going on as
well, so I won't rule that out....

Other problems we've run into:

1) the server starts returning nothing but 403 errors for every request,
dutifully logging it though sometimes the URI logged isn't the one requested.

2) all the children die, only the parent is left, and no files are being
served.  Is there a condition whereby a parent might not detect the death
of a child?

Both of these were seen on systems where a kill -HUP was sent to the
parents via cron every 15 minutes, but the parent was never completely
killed and restarted (it hopefully shouldn't have to be).  The kill -HUP
would fix the first problem but not the second.

	Brian