httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: 0.7.2b
Date Wed, 07 Jun 1995 18:47:11 GMT
On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Randy, I haven't noticed any core dumps, but I'm not using VIRTUAL HOST
> at all. Are you ?  It wouldn't surprise me if that's hosed right now.

I'll try 0.7.2b with VH later today.

> -=-=-=
>
> On another topic, an idea for "last-modified"
>
> How about if when apache is reading cgi script headers, and it sees a
> last modified header, it runs its "if-modified-since" check. If the
> thing hasn't been modified, Apache can tell the client, then zap the
> CGI script, or soak up its output.
>
> Checking for if-modified-since in CGI is a real drag, beacause of the
> different formats the date can take (e.g. Netscape sends the if-mod-since
> date in the old HTTP date format)

I think convergence is being reached on that though - didn't Netscape fix
that in 1.1?

Also, where is the if-modified-since date passed along to the CGI
script?  I can't seem to find it in any environment variable....

> -=-=-=-
>
> Anything happening on the logging front ?
>
> some thoughts on that... If we do go for the separate process idea, would
> it be reasonable for Apache to not do name lookups, and leave that to the
> log process which could have a cache of its own. The only problem I see
> is that some authorization is done on client name pattern matching. Yup
> that's a big problem. Is there any way around it ?

Could you turn on reverse-DNS lookups only when it's needed for protected
areas?

	Brian