httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: problem with DBM authorization (fwd)
Date Sat, 03 Jun 1995 03:41:00 GMT
On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Brandon Long wrote:
> Last time, Rob Hartill uttered the following other thing:
> > > I haven't tried changing this yet but a cursory inspection of the
> > > get_dbm_pw() function makes it seem likely that omitting the call
> > > to str_to_lower() would be the thing to do.
>
> I was kinda curious at seeing this as well.  The Basic auth doesn't
> require it to be lower case.

Mea culpa.  HotWired enforced lower-case names for clarity, and I added
that as people were using capitals in their names when they'd log in
after creating the account.  the str_to_lower can be completely removed.

> You might also look into changing the way in which you use the DBM
> files.  Since we're adding several other security authorization types,
> we are making DBM files as just a separate file type for storing data,
> not a separate authentication type.

Eh?  Since it's possible to have a flat file named foo and a DBM file
named foo(.pag, .dir, .db) at the same time, how does it know the
difference if you don't somewhow explicitly tell it?

	Brian