httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: more content-neg problems
Date Sun, 18 Jun 1995 06:54:54 GMT
   Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 16:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   I have DirectoryIndex set to "index".

   If I do a directory request with an Accept: line which only lists file
   types for which there are no acceptible "index" variants, then apache
   builds a directory index and labels it text/html even though an
   "index.html" exists.

Oh, crud.  What's going on here is that due to confusion on my part,
the directory-scanning code doesn't know whether it got a Not Found or
a No Such Variant, so it assumes the former.  I was going to clean
this up about when I did 406's right (which won't happen until there's
a spec); is it more urgent than that?

   In general, shouldn't requests for which no acceptible representation
   exist return a "406 None Acceptible"?

If the server is choosing among multiple variants, then it clearly
should, but whether there are multiple variants (and if so, how
they're found) is another matter.

rst