httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: 0.7.2b
Date Sun, 11 Jun 1995 18:56:39 GMT
   Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 21:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   Anything for a performance boost :)

... within limits.  Most reasonably up-to-date servers are fast enough
for almost everybody (i.e., everyone with < 0.4M hits/day)

   The number of CGI applications which *need* to get the actual host
   name *at processing time* is kind of small - and every CGI tutorial
   I've seen has said that it can't be relied upon anyways. If you
   compile now with -DMINIMAL_DNS, does REMOTE_HOST get set?

Haven't tried, but I don't see how it could.  However, there are
scripts which do make use of good values where available, and I don't
see the point of cutting them off.  Perhaps we could make it optional
(but then again, I guess it already is).

rst