httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: non-forking wish list
Date Thu, 08 Jun 1995 15:01:45 GMT
   From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
   Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:31:15 -0500 (CDT)

   WRT the suggestion of the status monitor and an "internal"
   protocol to request that information, it would make sense
   to have the children using this same protocol to exchange the
   logging information, no?

Well, the chain of thought which lead to that idea was something like:
OK, suppose we want a graphical status display.  We don't want to have
the server itself (any of it) talking to an X server directly for
obvious reasons (like, we don't want an XClientKill from a window
manager on the status display to kill off the server itself, to cite
the most benign of the nasty scenarios) --- so that means that an
external process is going to have to get information out of the server
somehow.  And since the server spends all of its time giving out
information to other processes anyway, perhaps we can use the same
mechanism...

Having exposed that chain of reasoning, let me also say that there are
arguments that it's a little misguided.  For one thing, the analogy
between status inquiries and other sorts of requests are a somewhat
tenuous (the server code which would handle these "requests" wouldn't
necessarily have anything at all to do with anything that's already
there, so the economy of mechanism implied above may be illusory).

One idea that I've had in the meantime (along the lines of your
subsequent suggestion of a filesystem-style frob) is to simply have a
file in /tmp called /tmp/httpd-status-display-$pid (where $pid is the
pid of the root server process, i.e., the one written in httpd.pid),
with a little status info at the top, and, say, 8K of information from
each child saying what it's up to (the request, statistics on its own
idle time, whatever else).  Code running on the local machine could
read this file and display it however it's convenient.

rst