httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: non-forking wish list
Date Thu, 08 Jun 1995 10:37:33 GMT
   Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 21:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   It would be very very helpful for administrators if 0.7.x could put some
   information in argv, so we could see the state of individual children
   using "ps".  This was talked about before but I forget what the
   conclusion was.  Just something as simple as the URI being accessed or
   "idle" if not serving anything would be really good.

Unfortunately, the NCSA 1.4.1 code which does this ain't portable
(well, it runs everywhere, but the effects vary greatly, and aren't
always pleasant).

   Pipe dream warning: Ideally I could see a graphical interface which has
   little progress bars for each child, with xfer rates, total file size,
   and % delivered, and maybe even a representation of the queue, etc.  Or
   maybe I've just been using gr_osview too much....

Hmmm... pipe dream warning II:  one way to support this would be to
support some form of a status request, perhaps along the lines of:

   SERVER_STATUS peformance-stats Apache-internal/0.8.x

or

   SERVER_STATUS requests-in-process Apache-internal/0.8.x

and have the graphical front-end, or whatever, periodically make these
requests.  Naturally, you'd want some form of very strict, presumably
IP-address-authenticated, access control on these...

(Note the Apache-internal "protocol" specifier, which should hopefully
distinguish these now and forever from any legitimate form of HTTP).

rst