httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Children Dying-- 0.7.2c Linux
Date Thu, 08 Jun 1995 10:15:12 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Wed, 7 Jun 95 20:00:51 MDT

   > Running 0.7.2c under Linux 1.2.6 seems to having children dying off for
   > no reason.  This seems to be occurring inside of the accept.  What are
   > other people using for mutex_lock_on and off?  This only seems to occur
   > when there are multiple simultaneous connections.

   Hmm. Do you have multiple processors ?

Hmmm... I didn't think standard Linux ran on multi-processor PC
motherboards, though they do exist and I remember hearing that someone
has a "lock-around-the-kernel" kludge that deals with them.  (It would
be pointless to run a web server in such a configuration, though,
since web servers spend most of their time in the kernel).

However, even if if Matthew isn't using such a configuration, the
Linux kernel could still be panicing with multiple simultaneous
accepts on a single socket --- we know the BSD networking code (which
most Unices use) handles that case correctly on uniprocessors, but
Linux networking is an independant implementation.

rst