httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: 0.7.2b
Date Wed, 07 Jun 1995 17:57:46 GMT
   Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   > HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE, *if* it was supplied by the client.  (If not,
   > the server does not supply a default, so you won't see it if you just
   > telnet in to the script).

   That's what I would have thought, but for some reason it doesn't seem to
   be working... i.e., I hit

   http://www.apache.org/cgi-bin/printenv

   the first time I don't see it, but I would expect to see it a second time
   (have my cache preferences in netscape set to "once per session").  Hmmm...

Only if the printenv script goes out of its way to send a
Last-modified: header.  I'm guessing it doesn't.

   The only thing I remember being discussed on WN-MAINT was having WN do
   the reverse DNS lookups for the logging purposes *after* the document had
   been served.

... and more specifically after the socket to the client has been shut
down.

   I totally agree - however, there aren't variables in the CGI environment
   to do exacty what those accomplish, so CGI would have to be extended (and
   a very quick tutorial on Perl written), but extending CGI is a lot less
   controversial than extending SSI's.

A few weeks of lurking on html-wg have made me wonder what *isn't*
controversial.

rst