httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: 0.7.2b
Date Wed, 07 Jun 1995 17:27:59 GMT
   Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 11:47:11 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   I think convergence is being reached on that though - didn't Netscape fix
   that in 1.1?

   Also, where is the if-modified-since date passed along to the CGI
   script?  I can't seem to find it in any environment variable....

HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE, *if* it was supplied by the client.  (If not,
the server does not supply a default, so you won't see it if you just
telnet in to the script).

   Could you turn on reverse-DNS lookups only when it's needed for protected
   areas?

One useful approach is to use lazy evaluation --- have a slot in the
per-request data structures which contains the result of the reverse
DNS lookup if needed, and have anything that cares about the hostname
do something like:

   find_remote_host (request);

which just returns what's in the per-request data structure if
something is there, and actually does the lookup if not (cacheing it
in the per-request data structure for future lookups).  I believe John
Franks' WN does something like this.

WN is worth a look, BTW --- the latest release has an interesting new
twist on server-side includes: conditional text, with (believe it or
not) an <!-- if --> <!-- then --> <!-- else --> syntax.  This sort of
thing really gives me the willies --- it gives SSI a firm shove down
the slippery slope towards full scripting, in a way which won't look
pretty when it gets to the bottom --- but a whole lot of people are
likely to want it nonetheless.

Still hacking Shambhala, and laying low until it works well enough to
talk about...

rst