httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: problem with DBM authorization (fwd)
Date Sat, 03 Jun 1995 12:49:49 GMT
   Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 20:41:00 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   > You might also look into changing the way in which you use the DBM
   > files.  Since we're adding several other security authorization types,
   > we are making DBM files as just a separate file type for storing data,
   > not a separate authentication type.

   Eh?  Since it's possible to have a flat file named foo and a DBM file
   named foo(.pag, .dir, .db) at the same time, how does it know the
   difference if you don't somewhow explicitly tell it?

It's possible that Brandon's being tripped up by a bit of code in
auth_bong.c which makes it look as if "DBM" is being treated as an
authentication type on par with "basic", which of course it isn't (the
browsers can't know and shouldn't care how the data is stored inside
the server, so as far as the clients are concerned, it is just basic
authentication).

rst