httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Apache 0.7: too many processes
Date Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:25:31 GMT

David writes,

> This does allow the number of servers to temporarily grow, but it doesn't
> really allow for automatic setting of the number of daemons (or X and Y).
>
> Let connection rate be r, connection time t

where do these come from ? I can't follow the rest of the algorithm
without understanding what these meand, and how they are computed
(presumably at regular intervals)

> A simple dynamical system:
>  create processes at a rate of 1/N * (r + 1/t )
>  processes die after N*t

they die based on how long they've been alive rather than how many
requests they've processed ?

The only reason for children to die at the moment is to limit the
possibility of meltdown due to leaks.. ideally they should run forever.

> Or, a similar system with possibly a better initial response time:
>  if no processes are blocked in accept, then create a new process, up to
>  a maximum creation rate cmax
>  processes die after N*t

I could live with that, maybe with "spare" children just not being replaced
once they've processed N requests (that's easy to fit into the current model)

So is it possible for the parent to monitor the accept status without
pulling requests out of the queue ?

> Both these should have a typical number of processes of rt + 1, with each
> process typically handling N connections.
> The second process limits the number of processes to N.cmax.t; so cmax could
> be set to nmax/(Nt)

where's my calculator ?  :-)

rob
--