httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: Apache 0.7: too many processes
Date Tue, 27 Jun 1995 00:54:51 GMT
/*
 * "Re: Apache 0.7: too many processes" by rst@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
 *    written Mon, 26 Jun 95 20:42:43 EDT
 *
 **    One suggestion has been (and I think this is what NCSA 1.4 and
 ** Netsite do) is to start with "x" servers, and when all servers are
 ** being used and a new request comes in fork a short-lived
 ** one-request-service child, up to "y" possible children total.
 * Hmmm... I believe NCSA 1.4 does this, but I don't think Netsite
 * does.
 */

That's correct. Netsite also implements the lockf() around accept()
that Cliff's friend suggested after we made a stink about this with
Sun last fall.

--Rob