httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: leaking fd's
Date Thu, 22 Jun 1995 15:35:22 GMT
Brian Tao liltingly intones:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> >
> > Re: zombies, after running unattended for 12 hours, 0.7.3 at cardiff
> > now has 3 zombies. I remember seeing 50+ the other day, but these two
> > observations might not have any real meaning.. we'll see.
>
>     Okay, ran 0.73f for about 8.5 hours last night, 123340 requests
> served.  Started off with 20 servers instead of 50 (which finally
> dawned on me might not be such a good idea with a machine with just 16
> megabytes ;-)), but still had 50 WebHound clients blasting away at it
> from other machines.  No fd leakage (even with CGI's), was running my
> standard kernel that doesn't have special considerations for children
> with a zillion open files or processes, but still had the zombie
> children.
>
> ...more about several zombies, and missing active children...

I did some similar testing last night against BSDI 2.0 and FreeBSD 2.0.
No fd leaks appeared. I couldn't get any zombies to appear, either, but
both machines I had were pretty resource-limited. I'll try today on our
BSDI server box here with 50 children and see if anything starts to
zombify or disappear. I will also increase the number of connects between
child respawns, but this looks better to me. I'll get a Solaris build done
tomorrow (our servers are going down today for mondo Oracle database
cloning, so who knows when they'll be back), and see what things look
like. I'll also try to get some better instrumentation around the running
server to see if there are any slow memory leaks not due to OS libs. No
apparent fast leaks, though. This looks good so far.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
"You'll never be the man your mother was!"