httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: 0.7.2k and an idea
Date Mon, 19 Jun 1995 17:10:23 GMT

> Sounds simple, but doesn't that require reading and parsing "files.map"
> for every response?  Even with everything cached, it sounds like a
> strain.  Why is having the link point to a basename and doing globbing on
> file extension less elegant?

if you mean changing my links from  foo.html to foo, then that can
be part of the plan, however, there are potentially thousands of links
from other sites all pointing at foo.html
If all I have is a foo.shtml file, then a request for foo.html will
return a 'not found' response... which isn't much good here.

What I was proposing was something like a redirect within a directory.
Redirecting out of the directory has lots of relative URL problems, so
the map file would have to be from file to file in the same dir.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/