httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: 0.72j vapourlock, FreeBSD and BSD/OS (Re: update ii)
Date Mon, 19 Jun 1995 14:47:30 GMT
Brian Tao liltingly intones:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> > > Unfortuantely, There are real
> > > problems with 0.7.2j eating up all the file descriptors under FreeBSD and
> > > BSDI under heavy load, and I have to look at those first.
> >
> > Make sure your MAXUSERS is at least as big as the number of children you
> > expect to run.  That was a problem too for links.net until that was done.
> > fstat was showing *lots* of file descriptors, but on this machine it was
> > also serving 4 virtual hosts, each of which had at least 3 fd's for log
> > files and such.  It did seem like there was some leakage going on as
> > well, so I won't rule that out....
>
>     Although I'd have to redo the test to be 100% certain, I recall
> one of the many FreeBSD 2.0.5 kernel configs I tried had MAXUSERS set
> to 128 and OPEN_MAX set to 256.  Server still locks up within the
> first twenty minutes of running with 50 children (serving 50 WebHound
> clients) and practically nothing else in the process table.

Yes, I have tried industrial strength settings as a workaround, too. It still
seems from looking at fstat that one fd is leaked by each child for each
.html or .gif file sent on each connect; I believe these files fall into the
ASIS_MAGIC_TYPE category, but I could be wrong, since I just got time to
start looking seriously at the code last night, late. So far, I haven't found
the close hole. Both BSDI and FreeBSD exhibit this, thankfully, making the
problem far less confusing.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
So, what's with this guy Gideon, anyway?  And why can't he ever
remember his Bible?