httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cli...@organic.com (Cliff Skolnick)
Subject Re: update ii
Date Sat, 17 Jun 1995 16:56:13 GMT
On Jun 17,  4:47pm, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
} Subject: Re: update ii
} On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Chuck Murcko wrote:
} > Unfortuantely, There are real
} > problems with 0.7.2j eating up all the file descriptors under FreeBSD and
} > BSDI under heavy load, and I have to look at those first.
}
} Make sure your MAXUSERS is at least as big as the number of children you
} expect to run.  That was a problem too for links.net until that was done.
} fstat was showing *lots* of file descriptors, but on this machine it was
} also serving 4 virtual hosts, each of which had at least 3 fd's for log
} files and such.  It did seem like there was some leakage going on as
} well, so I won't rule that out....

Actually I use the following formula for maxusers:

	8 + # of users + # of NFS clients + # pop clients + #
		of http children.

Better safe than sorry...investing in memory and/or increasing the buffer
chache for large sites can also do wonders.  It's amazing to see a site
serve 250K+ hits/day and still have periods of no disk activity for 20
seconds with 5-10 hits/sec :)  Now if we can just keep the system stable...

[I should note that increasing the buffer cache is for non SVR4
 systems only.  There is no real buffer cache for Solaris and SVR4
 systems.]

Cliff