httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <>
Subject Re: Any Implementation of S-HTTP available (fwd)
Date Sat, 10 Jun 1995 01:35:10 GMT
 * "Re: Any Implementation of S-HTTP available (fwd)" by Brandon Long
 *    written Mon, 5 Jun 1995 14:04:43 -0500 (CDT)
 * The problem with SSLref, is that it uses RSAref, which is DES only,
 * and therefore doesn't work on Netscape 1.0 servers (though 1.1
 * might work with DES).

Domestic versions of the 1.1 commerce server can talk DES. The export
ones can't.

 * That makes it useless for clients without a
 * DES server.  SSLref from Netscape is not setup for easy server
 * inclusion, so its supposed to be a non minimal job.

The certificate handling is not top-rate, and you need that for a
server. I do know of a couple of people who did it, though. The
Australian package is even better than SSLref from what I've gathered
(because they don't have to abide by our government's arcane rules
about only using RSAref etc), but of course you can't use it here in
the US.

View raw message