httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cli...@organic.com (Cliff Skolnick)
Subject Re: More on logging
Date Thu, 08 Jun 1995 14:00:19 GMT
Instead of SHMEM, you can use mmap() to simulate shared memory.  I'd
write the code to go either way, then you cover 100% of modern UNIX
variants and many older ones.

On Jun 8,  1:46pm, Rob Hartill wrote:
} Subject: Re: More on logging
} >
} > > > If the logging process is the parent, then it should simply be
} > > > passing a pointer to a log information structure for the child to
} > > > fill in as it handles the request.
} > >
} > > doesn't that need shared memory ?
} >
} > I suppose it does. As I mentioned in earlier mail, some of thes
} > features probably can't be available to *all* UNIX variants.
} > I admit that logging is an important one, but we can always
} > leave the standard CLF in place for those.
} >
} > Are there other ways besides SHMEM to accomplish this?
}
} Yup, all children drop the info down a socket to the logging process :-)
}
} --
} Rob Hartill
} http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/