httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: 0.7.2b
Date Thu, 08 Jun 1995 00:45:48 GMT
> > Could you turn on reverse-DNS lookups only when it's needed for protected
> > areas?
>
> Hmm, I guess so. In most cases documents won't be protected in this way,
> so it shouldn't waste too much time. The lookup will also be needed in
> order to set the CGI REMOTE_HOST variable... sigh.

These issues might be all the more reason to give the logging/authentication
management issues to the parent server.  Would it be possible for the
parent to maintain a structure of information on each request that it
hands to a child?  It might balance the load between the jobs of the
child and parent better.