httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: 0.7.2b
Date Wed, 07 Jun 1995 13:02:12 GMT

> On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Randy, I haven't noticed any core dumps, but I'm not using VIRTUAL HOST
> > at all. Are you ?  It wouldn't surprise me if that's hosed right now.
>
> I'll try 0.7.2b with VH later today.

try 0.7.2c        :-)

> I think convergence is being reached on that though - didn't Netscape fix
> that in 1.1?

They fixed the bug where the new format wasn't being cached. It now gets
cached, but presumably in the old format. Apache unmangles the if-mod
date before comparing it with the last-mod of the document.

> Also, where is the if-modified-since date passed along to the CGI
> script?  I can't seem to find it in any environment variable....

You'll only see it if the script dumping the variables sets the
last-modified date, so for an experiment, you'll have to hardcode
the last-mod date header.

> Could you turn on reverse-DNS lookups only when it's needed for protected
> areas?

Hmm, I guess so. In most cases documents won't be protected in this way,
so it shouldn't waste too much time. The lookup will also be needed in
order to set the CGI REMOTE_HOST variable... sigh.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/