httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Sun, 21 May 1995 16:17:00 GMT
Beth wrote:
>... Encryption used only within the headers for authentication, distributed
>in binary only form falls under Commerce department rules and can be exported
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>with (I think) a one time review.  (I think if we get ours OK'ed and you say
>you build yours off of ours, you may not have to go through this review, BUT
>I'm not sure about this and someone from Apache should talk to the NSA BEFORE
>you include any of our new 1.5 code.)...

Does this mean that only the encryption software needs to be in binary form,
or that the software hooks also need to be in binary form?

Apache and httpd both have 'hooks' to call the library routine `crypt'
for authentication. Does this mean they have to be distributed as binaries,
and be approved by the Commerce department?

 David.