httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@dsndata.com>
Subject Re: Log file and databases
Date Wed, 10 May 1995 20:29:42 GMT

> > > Quick question - what's the "key" in the DBM file format?  DBM files are
> > > just simple hash tables remember, so logging to a DBM file would be
> > > useful in a "bean count" system like Rob Mc alluded to a while back, but
> > > not to a format ready for entry into a relational analysis program.
> >
> > The key() I have used for this concept test is an integer conversion of
> > the date entry.  A relational database would make this *much* more
> > useable and is definitely the direction I want to go with this.
>
> Hmm... I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why you want to use a DBM
> file then, as all the DBM file you're creating will be good for is
> looking up accesses on a particular second.

True, but I figured I could query accesses in a specific time range,
then pull out of that the information I want regarding data transfer, etc.
I am under the impression that I can get this information out of a DBM
format faster than I can from a *large* flat file.

I agree that this is not the ideal setup. Mainly just an excercise to
get a better idea of what can be done.  I have 2 database engines waiting
on input from this logger. (Msql, and Postgres95)  The only real snag
to making the database thing work is me finding time to learn how to
write a useable SQL schema for the data we will be logging. I have
been playing with the Perl APIs for both of these databases. If someone
with SQL knowledge could design a schema for the information we would
be logging from Apache, we're off and running.