httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: time for 0.6.3
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 14:59:00 GMT
>David, I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble resolving
>apache.org.  I have been monitoring resolution for this domain and I have
>not seen any problems whenever I checked... maybe I'm just getting lucky.
>You might want to toss your name resolution daemon into debug mode so you
>can see where the hand-off is failing.
>
>Both DNS.ZYZZYVA.COM DNS.INETNEBR.COM are taking less than a couple
>seconds to respond.  What happens with you nslookup apache.org. after
>setting lserver to each nameserver?

Firstly, as far as I am concerned, the two DNS servers are in the same
location; a traceroute to dns.zyzzyva.com shows packets going to
router.inetnebr.com. (two hops before the destination).

The problem is that often I cannot contact either of the DNS servers; they
do not respond to ping packets. A traceroute shows the packets getting as
far as sl-stk-5-H1/0-T3.sprintlink.net, and then no further.

>We are quite well connected here, and I would have no problem with
>providing secondary to apache.org. if needed.

I'm sure it would help.

 David.