httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Spero <...@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 18:29:14 GMT
On Fri, 5 May 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> You've been listening to "Late Night Musings" with your hosts, Rob McCool
> and Brian Behlendorf.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled
> mail queue, already in progress.

100% Protocol - Geek 100FM

> But bandwidth will still be a killer - which is why I've turned into a
> proxy cop on www-talk recently :)  When we move from the 5 million
> browsers mark to the 500 million browsers mark (15 years?), proxies are
> going to be the only thing that holds this whole thing together.

Bandwidth is ready to make a jump of way more than 100 fold; switching to
600Mbits is here now - is just the computers that can't keep up :-) The
real problem is going to be latency. The only thing that can hold the
whole thing together will be proxies. Hmmm :-)

The other thing that can really help are media specific protocols for
time sensitive information. It turns out that it isn't just isochronous
media like audio and video that fit this description - icons on a page
are also time critical; there's nothing more frustrating than just
sitting there waiting for an icon to render. If you transfer icons over a
lossy protocol, and use a real time transport protocol (er, like RTP),
you adapt to the conditions over the path you're using, the image can be
displayed even with packet loss, and the level of detail throttled back
to support the line conditions available.

Simon