httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Spero <...@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 18:10:34 GMT
On Thu, 4 May 1995, Rob McCool wrote:

> And I agree. We found that problems that never showed up in the lab
> (simulated load) suddenly created very real problems for
> home.netscape.com. Nearly all of them turned out to be things that
> needed to be fixed at the TCP level; most of them weren't at the
> application level. The benchmarks I've seen thus far can't effectively
> capture the parallelism and bursts inherent in real-world TCP loads.

<double-mocha driven preaching-to-converted mode activated>

That's the  point that the technical people were making at the RFP
meeting (actually, mostly me and Brendan  Netscape). People
don't want to know how many 300 byte documents they can server per
second- they want to know how many big I Internet users can be browsing
at any given time without their having to buy a new machine or upgrade
their connection.

As you say, the protocol is still the problem; when I was visting with
Dave Raggett at HP-Labs, I was able to get TPS rates out of a
trivial HTTP-NG mockup on a spare machine that no-one else wanted that
far exceeded the best numbers I can get out of massively tweaked servers
running on far faster machines. There's a limit to how fast you can make
a steam engine go... Dammit Jim - you canna change the laws of physics.

Simon