httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Dynamic filenames
Date Thu, 01 Jun 1995 05:24:10 GMT
    At www.io.org, we've switched to daily log rotation because of the
high number of accesses to the site.  For statistical purposes, we
would like to have each log file contain only those entries associated
with one particular day.  Unfortunately, cron jobs don't always run on
time, and we end up having bits and pieces of the following day (or
the previous day) in the file.

    We (not me personally) patched the NCSA httpd server to auto-rotate
the filename each day, but that doesn't seem to work too reliably.  I
would love to see some sort of dynamic filename mechanism in Apache,
based on the time of the request, URL component, domain name of
client, URL filename extension, etc.  This would be a perfect
application for the proposed autonomous logging daemon.

    Anyone else interested in this?

(BTW, www.io.org's webmaster, Bill Denton, has just joined the list
because we are thinking of replacing NCSA httpd with Apache on our
BSD/OS 2.0 machines)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org