httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: logging
Date Sat, 27 May 1995 05:36:54 GMT
On Fri, 26 May 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:

> This has come up in the past, and I see no problem with it.

    Ah, okay... I'll scan the mail archives to see what's been
discussed before then.

> LogFormat "Host: %h\nRFC: %r\nDate: %D\n"  etc....
>
> to accomplish what RobH would like to see.  Works for me.

    Taking it another step further, we could have:

<TransferLog logs/access_log>
LogFormat "%M\t%n\t%N\t[%D:%h:%m:%s ... "
</TransferLog>

<TransferLog logs/verbose_log>
LogFormat "Host: %h\nRFC: %r\nDate: %D\n"
</TransferLog>

<RefererLog logs/referer_log>
LogFormat "%/\t%F"
</RefererLog>

    I don't know how easy it would be to support an arbitrary number
of log files like that without bogging down the server so that all it
does is write log files.

> The seperate "log hub" process really becomes a separate issue from
> Apache.  I guess that getting these format changes implemented is
> the first step.  This will take me a bit longer than some others
> on the list.  Please let me know if you are tearing into this.
> Otherwise, I will.

    Not at the moment... this idea had been sitting in the back of
mind for a few months now, ever since I tried writing my own set of
log file parsers.  I'm not a particularly strong C programmer
(*sigh*), but I like hacking away at code.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't
be able to say when I will have something to show for it.  :(
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org