httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: logging
Date Fri, 26 May 1995 04:53:37 GMT
On Thu, 25 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> I don't like this one-line-fixed-format transfer because it
> immediately restricts the amount of info being passed. If some
> browser suddenly starts sending a new bit of info, we can't
> accomodate it without changing the "standard". It'll also be
> very difficult to get other server developers to conform to this, and
> even more difficult to keep them in sync should new pieces of info
> become available at a later date.

    If some browser did begin sending new information, it wouldn't be
recognized by other servers anyway.  To accommodate this, the server
could have a customizable log format line.  A line in the httpd.conf
might go like:

LogFormat "%M %n %N [%D/%w/%Y:%P %z] \"%! %/ %v\" %? %s"

    Most of the tokens are based on tcsh's prompt tokens, and that
format string will produce the current CLF.  In addition to the
supplied tokens, supply ten user-defined ones (%0 to %9) which the
user can attach to client-specific information.  So if a client starts
sending the user's public PGP key with each request and you want to
log it, just assign x-pgp-public (or whatever) to %0 and insert it in
LogFormat.

    Having a single definable log format string in the server itself
is probably what 90% of most people need.  Keeping another logging
process around seems like a waste.  However, we should still make it
easy for external processes to grok the access logs for more
complicated applications like real-time usage graphs or secure
transaction servers.

    Does any of that make sense?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org