httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: Woe is me
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 13:09:18 GMT
On Thu, 25 May 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> i.e. foo.html.it is the italian HTML file, whereas bar.txt.de is the
> german one, or baz.html.gz.uu is the uuencoded gzip'd html file called
> baz.  How hard would it be to convince people to use dashes instead of
> period for the actual file's name, is the question. report.1995.html
> would confuse the server.

    This sounds like recursive MIME mappings to me, where each time
you apply a filename extension map, you strip off one extension, then
check the new extension to see if it has a map.  In that case,
something like "report.1995.html" wouldn't break unless you have
".1995" mapped to some MIME type.  Am I on the right track here?

    Perhaps this could be augmented by scanning magic numbers in the
manner of file(1) to verify what the filename extension says the file
should contain.

> Ah, 5am musings.  Go to bed, brian.

    Funny, I say the exact same thing some days.  ;-)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org