httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject Re: phase II
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 03:18:12 GMT
On Wed, 24 May 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:

> 2. I would like to see this group create our own log format. It
> would be easy to provide a logger daemon that converted it to CLF
> and wrote it to a flat file.  I would like to see Apache sending
> access dates in integer format and logging the IP address only.

    So would I... the current CLF is too geared towards human readers,
IMHO.  Logfile analyzers have to go through some awkward contortions
to correctly parse each line and handle errors or misformats.  If it
weren't for the space-delimited fields and compound fields (like the
HTTP command block, enclosed in quotes), simple shell and awk scripts
would suffice, instead of bulky C or perl utilities.

> Reducing the output of the present CLF to this.
>
> 198.183.2.1 - - 81100035 GET /man/Perl5/perlfunc.html HTTP/1.0 200 135964

    I would like to see a fixed number of tab-delimited fields that a
simple awk script can post-process into the original CLF or something
more human-readable.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org