httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: Woe is me
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 12:07:27 GMT
On Thu, 25 May 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> Actually, I think that if MultiViews is turned on, this already works.
> (Incidentally, replacing foo.html with something called foo.html.shtml
> (yuck!) should cause the server to respond to requests for the former
> by dishing out the latter, processing includes as it goes ---
> technically, it's extremely elegant, with the awkward exception that
> the cascade of filename suffixes is ugly as hell).

Been thinking a little bit here - it seems that attaching
meta-information to filenames is extremely attractive for those OS's
which don't support it (ones that do support it: Mac's and NeXT's, for
example), so why don't we bite the bullet and suggest that with option
"N" turned on, all parts of the filename after the first period are
parsed to determine meta-information - i.e. is the italian
HTML file, whereas is the german one, or baz.html.gz.uu is the
uuencoded gzip'd html file called baz.  How hard would it be to convince
people to use dashes instead of period for the actual file's name, is the
question. report.1995.html would confuse the server.

Ah, 5am musings.  Go to bed, brian.

View raw message