httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: phttpd?
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 00:47:30 GMT
On Thu, 18 May 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> My full wish list for this thing, which I'm tentatively calling
> Hypatia (I wouldn't mind seeing it as Apache 3.0, or something, but I
> obviously can't push it on the group) would be something like:
>
> *) A decent API, which is adequate to implement replacements for much
>    of the core server functionality.
>
> *) Much of the core server functionality (certainly includes, dirs,
>    SSI, and CGI, and hopefully auth/access) moved into modules which
>    use the API.
>
> *) An end to the global variable and MAX_STRING_LENGTH poxes.

All excellent.

> *) NCSA back-compatibility wherever it isn't impossibly awkward.

I'm tempted to say the whole config system in httpd is just slightly
above hopeless... and that breaking free isn't all that bad an idea.

> (Incidentally, this is why I asked about wish lists earlier this week,
> to try and get some pulse of the group about whether people share the
> wish list above or not, and to what extent).

I have something of a wish list that I did a long time ago, but it was
more in the context of what I would want an all-in-one commercial web
server to do rather than a freeware group-created server like apache.
http://organic.com/Staff/brian/dreamserver.html

	Brian