httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: phase II
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 00:36:23 GMT

Old mail cleanup....

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> a new logging system ?
>   still in the design stage.

Right.  I propose, now that we see that having apache pipe information to a
script is actually feasible, that we simply decide on a Very Large Common Log
File Format, Part Deux that is designed to only be written as STDIN on
another program (or sent as a char * to the logfile processing procedure). Is
just a format enough, or do we need something with explicitely typed data
like CGI?  I.e., if we just define the following

(current CLF) referrer user-agent real-object errstring

and then pipe it to some really good logging program that we write and
distribute with Apache, how likely a contender could that be for CLF2?

> URL -> filename caching
>   Let the user list URLs which can have their filenames cached, so
>   as to avoid all the other Apache overhead of finding and checking
>   permissions, when the file has no special restrictions.
>
>   This could speed up access to popular pages/images that don't need
>   special attention.. they just need to be sent.

Can we automate this somehow?  Let Darwinism determine which accesses are
the most frequent and cache on that?

	Brian