httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: Woe is me
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 00:03:37 GMT
On Wed, 24 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Is there anything that needs doing right now ?

Helper apps:

	A 404 script that can "guess" which URL you meant to get.
	A error-log reporting utility (I'm working on that - as per the revamped
		E30 patch)
	A better imagemap script, or putting imagemap functionality directly
		into the server.
	A suite of CGI scripts and HTML pages to maintain access-control files.
	In fact, maybe a CGI/HTML interface to server administration?
	Better documentation
	Cleaning up of the cgi-bin distribution to be more interesting and

> Anyone interested in the CGI hack where all scripts are given the
> fd of the socket to the client, and the script chooses to use it ?
> I don't want to waste time on it's a bad idea or useless.

I like the concept... I say we implement it, label it experimental, and
bring it up on comp.infosystems.www.servers and/or www-talk as an
extension to CGI.

> Also, any thoughts on my XBITHACK replacement ?...  missing .html
> files will cause a check for .shtml, which turns on SSI parsing.

Hmm... my first thought is that I wouldn't switch to that, but I am kinda
set in my ways.  Could be an interesting additional option.

Can we marry this to content-negotiation, though?  I.e., if a request
comes along for "mary" and "mary.html" doesn't exist but "mary.shtml"
does, the .shtml will be dished out... it'll help encourage people to
make links to the objects without their content-type extensions, which is
definitely a good thing.

I just fear Apache becoming the Perl of web servers (where there is
always more than 4 ways to do something, which results in undisciplined
setups :)

> -=-=
> 0.7 on my machine still seems stable, and doesn't appear to leak
> too badly (children grow by ~150k, but stay there).
> Has anyone tried it on an active site ?

I'll try putting it on hyperreal soon.  We need to take some code out of

> -=-=
> Looks like Brian forgot to increment the version number in httpd.h
> going from 0.6.4b to 0.6.5

I feel like SUCH a rookie.  Sheesh.

> -=-==-
> >From the bug list...
>    Problem: with the default config of httpd.conf, the group is set
> to '#-1'.  I get the following when trying to run apache with group
> set as such:
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hmm - I don't know what could be safer to put as the default.  "32767"?

View raw message