httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 08:08:56 GMT
On Fri, 5 May 1995, Rob McCool wrote:
> /*
>  * "Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)" by Brian B
>  *    written Fri, 5 May 1995 00:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
>  *
>  * Is the problem the TCP/IP protocol or the broken implementations
>  * out there?  How much will IPNG help, you think?
>
> The problem lies not with TCP or IP, but with HTTP. That's why I think
> the work being done on HTTP/1.1 and HTTP-NG are the most
> interesting.

Ah, okay, by your earlier message I thought you were saying the opposite
(isn't HTTP at the "application layer"? hmmm)

> It's work that has needed to be done for a very long
> time. To answer your earlier question about how soon new protocol
> developments are going to be deployed, we are working on the ones that
> exist, and we will be working on the up and coming ones in our
> browsers and servers.

Cool.

> In this regard, both a new protocols as well as new cluster
> managements techniques to help site managers automatically handle
> having more than one server machine will help popular sites as Web
> availability (and thus traffic) grows.

But bandwidth will still be a killer - which is why I've turned into a
proxy cop on www-talk recently :)  When we move from the 5 million
browsers mark to the 500 million browsers mark (15 years?), proxies are
going to be the only thing that holds this whole thing together.

You've been listening to "Late Night Musings" with your hosts, Rob McCool
and Brian Behlendorf.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled
mail queue, already in progress.

	Brian