httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: multi home
Date Tue, 02 May 1995 21:06:37 GMT
On Mon, 1 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> I wrote something along these lines last week, but don't remember
> it ever coming back to me. It may have been lost trying
> to find apache.org

Mail should not have been lost....

> Are there any plans for HTTP/1.1  to send the hostname that
> the client thinks it is talking to, via a HTTP header ?

Yes.  The mechanism will be something like an

header which is essentially the complete URL.  The reason for this and
not just "Server-name" is that when we have URC's and URN's it is
potentially useful to the server to know what the URL was mapped from.

> This'll obsolete the virtual host stuff we have, and make it
> easy for servers to offer virtual host support without the
> need for multiple IP addresses.

Yes yes yes and oooh boy yes.  :)

> Where can I find more info on HTTP/1.1 ?

Hmmm - I thought there was a proposal somewhere.  Roy's HTTP spec page
<URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/> has some pointers to
particular proposals but no codified hard proposal, like HTML 3.0 has.
Though we all know Roy has been just a little busy recently :)

	Brian