httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Consensus on error CGI variable names?
Date Tue, 02 May 1995 19:11:39 GMT
On Mon, 1 May 1995, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> [REDIRECT vs ERROR]
> > As I've said before, the term "ERROR_" is potentially misleading since
> > not all calls to die() are a result of an error, e.g. authentication
> > failure isn't a server error, it's just a denial of service based on
> > a lack of authentication.
> >
> > *I* don't want to see Apache use "ERROR_", but I'm prepared to be
> > overruled by the majority. Only Randy and I expressed any preference
> > regarding the name, and "REDIRECT_" was chosen. I assumed everyone
> > else on this list was either happy with the name, or just didn't
> > care what it was called.
>
> REDIRECT is better, for the reason stated above.
>
> Ay. [maintaining a low profile right now 'cuz work is *mental*]

I'll throw in my +1 as well for REDIRECT.  Consider, NCSA, that with
HTTP/1.1 an imagemap script could redirect internally to a CGI-script
rather than force the client to make a second request, and in that
situation the redirect is not an error at all (and that the script might
need the info that the imagemap script had access to).

	Brian