httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: logging
Date Fri, 26 May 1995 07:55:48 GMT
rst wrote:

> So the actual line would look like...
>
>  ...time<TAB>method<SPACE>uri<SPACE>protocol<TAB>bytestransferred
>
> in the usual case?  That seems to handle most everything (except that
> we'd need an escaping convention for handling broken request-lines
> with tabs in them --- but we need that anyway).

I'd put the request-line last to minimize problems.

The problem with escaping conventions is that you also have to escape
the presence of anything that looks like an escaping mechanism.  In this
case though, I think it would be safe to just replace any TABs in the
request with a normal space, since they mean the same in HTTP and are
so rare that this wouldn't adversely affect the log integrity.  That would
be sufficient for our needs, without requiring a later unescape.

......Roy