httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: logging
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 08:36:00 GMT
   Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 07:16:47 -0500
   From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>

   > So the actual line would look like...
   >
   >  ...time<TAB>method<SPACE>uri<SPACE>protocol<TAB>bytestransferred
   >
   > in the usual case?  That seems to handle most everything (except that
   > we'd need an escaping convention for handling broken request-lines
   > with tabs in them --- but we need that anyway).
   >
   > rst

   Why not choose some character delimiter. Would that not solve this
   more simply?  Any character (or sequecence of characters) that is
   not likely to be used in a request?

But that's just the problem --- tab characters aren't likely to be
used in a request, because they're just not legal.  However, garbled
requests do happen (buggy clients, people screwing up with telnet),
and we don't want a logging procedure that breaks when this sort of
thing (rarely, but inevitably) does occur.

BTW, this problem arises with *any* character or character sequence,
because there is nothing which some monkey at the keyboard could not
type.  That's why I think that, so long as we're packing this stuff up
into character strings, we need an escaping convention.  (And if we're
shipping it over a pipe, we do wind up packing it into character
strings regardless, so it's either escapes or something hairier like
packetization --- and escapes keep the raw data human readable, which
is good for debugging).

rst