httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: logging
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 08:05:45 GMT
   Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 00:53:19 -0700
   From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@avron.ics.uci.edu>

   Yes -- you are assuming that you can parse the first line of the
   request into a METHOD URI PROTOCOL.  My experience is that this is not
   always the case.  More importantly, you *want* to know when it isn't.
   So, send the unaltered REQUEST-LINE (or whatever you wnt to call it)
   instead of METHOD URI PROTOCOL.

So the actual line would look like...

 ...time<TAB>method<SPACE>uri<SPACE>protocol<TAB>bytestransferred

in the usual case?  That seems to handle most everything (except that
we'd need an escaping convention for handling broken request-lines
with tabs in them --- but we need that anyway).

rst