httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: phase II
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 07:55:40 GMT
   Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 20:57:40 -0500
   From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>

   1. Only one logger daemon can read from a pipe at one time. Aside from
   using sockets, the only solution I see to this is to provide a "spigot"
   that is capable of increasing the number of pipes as they are requested.
   I am beginning to prefer the idea of the server providing a socket
   interface for these little suckers to attach to.  The server could
   either be writing the same information to all established sockets,
   or we could provide a per socket configuration for the information.

Hmmm... if you're willing to forgo the ability to set up and tear down
loggers without having to restart the server (or at least have it
reread its config files), then this could also be done by having a
"hub" process which takes all output from the one pipe coming from the
actual server process(es), and distributes it among the other loggers
that are active.

(In fact, even if you *do* want to be able to set up and tear down
loggers without disturbing the server proper, having the loggers
connect to a separate "log hub", which gets a single pipe from the
real server might well be the easiest way to go, particularly in the
non-forking model; otherwise, for the non-forking model the pipes to
new logger daemons would have to be distributed to currently running
child processes via some kind of privilege transfer, which is (as
we've seen) not supported on all reasonable systems).

rst