httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Woe is me
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 07:41:38 GMT
   Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 17:03:37 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   Can we marry this to content-negotiation, though?  I.e., if a request
   comes along for "mary" and "mary.html" doesn't exist but "mary.shtml"
   does, the .shtml will be dished out... it'll help encourage people to
   make links to the objects without their content-type extensions, which is
   definitely a good thing.

Actually, I think that if MultiViews is turned on, this already works.
(Incidentally, replacing foo.html with something called foo.html.shtml
(yuck!) should cause the server to respond to requests for the former
by dishing out the latter, processing includes as it goes ---
technically, it's extremely elegant, with the awkward exception that
the cascade of filename suffixes is ugly as hell).

rst