httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Elizabeth Frank)
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Fri, 19 May 1995 18:21:36 GMT
On May 19, 11:02am, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
} Subject: Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA

 > On Fri, 19 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
 > > So what will Apache policy be on PGP hooks ?,
 > >
 > > c)  we ditch the PGP hooks.
 > >
 > > For simiplicity, and becuase PGP isn't used anywhere, I'd go for (c)
 >
 > si'.  Er, c.
 >
 > Take them out, make a context diff, send those diffs to a friend in
 > a more enlightened country like Iceland or South Africa or Australia
 > (hey, I wonder if Capt' Crunch is still down in Australia on extended
 > vacation, I know he'd dig this :), and provide a pointer to that remote
 > site from our home page, maybe?

It was unclear to me from the conversation with the NSA people what the
law says about the pointer.  While there is potential for someone from the
state department asking the pointer be removed, I don't think you get into
trouble with this.  I think (due to the conservative nature of the U of I
lawyers) that NCSA will not have pointers to patches located outside the
country, and will probably have some html page explaining the export restrictions.

 > Perhaps it's this remote person who
 > should be doing the context diffs?

I believe that from what the NSA people said that if anyone inside the US
does the context diffs that would fall under the colaboration part of the
restrictions.  So it should be developed independantly by someone outside
the USA or Canada (Canadian export laws defer to US laws when dealing with
US products).

 > 	Brian

 > brian@organic.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/

}-- End of excerpt from Brian Behlendorf